Summer Course Pre-Approvals

Summer Course Approvals for Continuing UM Students

If you are a current UM student and you would like to take a summer course at another institution, please email to

In order to have a summer course considered for transfer, you MUST meet the UM prerequisite for the equivalent course.

Your request for evaluation must include ALL of the following information.

  • The current and complete syllabus for the course you wish to complete. This must be an official syllabus, not a cut and paste from a webpage, and it must be effective within the past year. The syllabus must include specific topics covered, textbook used, grading policies, etc. You may also include a schedule of lectures, if available. A link to a webpage with all this information may be provided.
  • If a course you wish to complete is online or hybrid, the syllabus you present must be specific to this modality of instruction. It must include the manner in which exams will be administered. If exams are not proctored in person or video proctored, the course will not be considered.
  • A link to the course description for the course on the other institution's web page.
  • Proof that you have completed the UM prerequisite or are currently enrolled in that course. This could be a printout of your DPR from CaneLink or a screen shot of your unofficial transcript or current schedule.
  • A Transfer Credit Equivalency Evaluation with your personal information filled out and saved as a pdf editable document. Make sure to check that you HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE COURSE. Indicate the modality of instruction for the course you wish to complete. The file name must include your first and last name at the beginning of the file name. If you do not have one already, here is a blank Transfer Credit Equivalency Evaluation form you may use.
  • It is the student's responsibility to make sure the course meets other requirements set forth by the University. Students may not be concurrently enrolled at UMiami and any other college or university. Final transcripts for summer courses must be received by the University Registrar prior to the first day of the fall semester. Open enrollment, online courses will not be accepted for transfer equivalency since these conditions will not be met.

Request for evaluations will be answered in the order in which they are received.


Please visit the University Bulletin for other rules pertaining to transfer course credit.

University Policies that may affect your evaluation:

  • A UM student must not be concurrently enrolled at any other institution of higher education while they are enrolled at UM.
  • The UM Undergraduate Repeat Rule (URR) does not apply for any course repeated outside of UM.